The College Archive is located in the Rosemary Murray Library and is open to external visitors by appointment only. The New Hall Archive at Murray Edwards College holds our administrative records as well as deposited personal and institutional collections with a link to the College or women’s history more generally.
The administrative records cover the following areas:
- academic records,
- bursarial records,
- governing records,
- records of College clubs and societies,
- photographs and oral history recordings,
- records of College members,
- historical reference records.
Our personal papers collections include those of Dame Rosemary Murray, the College’s first President, and other early Fellows as well as those who, though not members of the College, have had significant links with us.
Our catalogue can be found online via the Cambridge ArchiveSearch website. You can search all collections or browse our specific holdings via the 'repositories' link on the top navigation bar.
To book an appointment or discuss your requirements, please email: email@example.com. Visitors will be asked to bring proof of identification and to fill in a user registration form giving details of the type of material they wish to consult.
Copying and Publication
Material from the archives may be copied provided that:
- UK copyright law and data protection regulations permit it.
- The donor / depositor of the material has not stipulated restrictions on copying.
- The material is physically suitable for copying (e.g. copying of material which is too fragile, too tightly bound or too large will not be permitted).
At the discretion of the Archivist, you may be able to take photographs of documents with your own camera, for the purposes of private study and research only, for a daily charge. The use of flash and handheld scanners is not permitted. The College can arrange for an external photographer to undertake orders if copies cannot be produced in-house.
The supply of copies does not carry with it the right to publish in any form. A request to publish must be made separately and the following regulations apply:
- Material from Murray Edwards College collections may be published only with the explicit permission of the College.
- Permission to publish and the fee payable cover only the specific publication detailed.
- Where copyright is not owned by the College, it is the applicant's responsibility to acquire written consent from the copyright owner, a copy of which must be sent to the College.
- Published material should be credited The President and Fellows of Murray Edwards College, Cambridge.
Please note that the College charges a reproduction fee for the use of images of publication, regardless of whether or not it owns copyright.
Health and Safety
The Archives continues to use the following guidance to mitigate the spread of infection:
- Please wash your hands regularly whilst in the library.
- Do not close the windows.
Please remember that the windows need to remain permanently open to provide adequate ventilation, as per the University Ventilation Risk Assessment.
We will continue to assist those unable to visit in person virtually, as much as possible. We may be able to scan material in some circumstances (see 'Copying and Publication' above) or to organise an appointment to review collections via video call. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your requirements.