Library Induction tours
A tour of the library and a brief electronic induction of the main library resources is given to each student when they start at Murray Edwards College. These take place during the first week of term. Each first year undergraduate student will receive 10 Gateway credits for attending.
Library induction tours are available on the following days:
- Thursday 3 October 2019, 08:30-15:30
- Monday 7 October 2019, 08:30-14:30
- Tuesday 8 October 2019, 08:30-12:30
- Wednesday 9 October 2019, 08:30-18:30
To book a place, please fill in the Library Induction Booking Form.
If you are unable to make the tours please email the library staff to arrange a personal tour at a time to suit you: email@example.com
User education sessions - Gateway Programme
The library induction tour taken during Fresher’s week counts towards your Gateway credits. Gateway credits have already been awarded to those students who attended. If you were unable to attend an induction and still wish to, you can still arrange an introductory 1-1 with a member of library staff by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Gateway credits will be awarded after attendance.
Graduates, Finalists and Year 2
Individual information searching workshops are available for Graduates, Finalists and Year 2 Undergraduates. Each session will provide advanced search tips that will save you time when searching for information and relevant journal articles using Cambridge’s electronic resources. The workshop will also cover:
- Devising a search strategy
- Thinking about alternative terminology
- Using subject specific abstracting and indexing databases tailored to your subject area
- Advice on evaluating resources
To book a place, please sign up via the Gateway Moodle page. Gateway credits will be awarded for attendance.
You can achieve Gateway credits for library training in the following ways:
- Year 1 - by attending a library induction tour (10 credits).
- Year 2 - by attending the Information Searching workshops run in conjunction with the Gateway programme (10 credits).
If you wish to have individual help with using bibliographic referencing software or using current awareness services to find current information please contact the Librarian on email@example.com to arrange an appointment.
Information skills training may also be available through your faculty or department library.