Fellow in Sociology
Human Social and Political Science (HSPS)
PhD in Social Anthropology, University of Cambridge
MPhil in Social Anthropological Analysis, University of Cambridge
- Student Mobilities
- Social class, social mobility, and inequality
- Social Media
- Language and language ideologies
Sazana Jayadeva is a Lecturer at the Department of Sociology, and an undergraduate tutor at Murray Edwards College. Previously, she was a Research Fellow at the University of Surrey and UCL Institute of Education, where she worked on the ERC-funded ‘Eurostudents’ project, studying how the contemporary higher education student is constructed by different social actors in six European countries. Prior to this, she was awarded a Leibniz-DAAD Research Fellowship to carry out a research project on the role of social media in facilitating Indian student mobility to Germany. She conducted this research while based at the GIGA Institute for Asian Studies in Hamburg (where she retains an affiliation as Associate Researcher). Building on this research, she recently carried out a study of how Covid-19 has impacted the plans of Indians studying or planning to study in Germany.
Sazana has an MPhil and PhD in Social Anthropology from the University of Cambridge. Her doctoral research, funded by the Cambridge Commonwealth Trust, focused on the relationship between education, class, and the English language in post-liberalisation India.
- Jayadeva, S., Brooks, R., and Lazetic, P. (2021) “Paradise lost or created? How higher-education staff perceive the impact of policy on students.” Journal of Education Policy.
- Brooks, R., Gupta, A., & Jayadeva, S. (2021) “Higher education students’ aspirations for their post-university lives: evidence from six European nations.” Children's Geographies, 1-14.
- Brooks, R., Gupta, A., Jayadeva, S., Abrahams, J., Lazetic, P. (2021) “Higher education timescapes: temporal understandings of students and learning.” Sociology, 0038038521996979.
- Jayadeva, S., Brooks, R., Gupta, A., Abrahams, J., Lazetic, P., and Lainio, A. (2020) “Are Spanish students customers? Paradoxical perceptions of the impact of marketisation on higher education in Spain”. Sociological Research Online.
- Jayadeva, S. (2020) “Keep calm and apply to Germany: how online communities mediate transnational student mobility from India to Germany”. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 46(11), pp.2240-2257.
- Brooks, R., Gupta, A., Jayadeva, S., Abrahams, J. and Lažetić, P. (2020) “Students as political actors? Similarities and differences across six European nations”. British Educational Research Journal.
- Brooks, R., Gupta, A., Jayadeva, S., Abrahams, J. (2020) “Students’ views about the purpose of higher education: a comparative analysis of six European countries.” Higher Education Research and Development.
- Brooks, R., Gupta, A., Jayadeva, S., Lainio, A. (2020) “Students in Marketised Higher Education Landscapes: An introduction”. Sociological Research Online.
- Jayadeva, S. (2019) “English‐medium: schooling, social mobility, and inequality in Bangalore, India”. Anthropology & Education Quarterly, 50(2), pp.151-169.
- Jayadeva, S. (2018) “‘Below English Line’: An ethnographic exploration of class and the English language in post-liberalization India”. Modern Asian Studies, 52(2), pp.576-608.
- Jayadeva, S. and Thieme, S. (2022, forthcoming) “Building bridges: Narratives from and about educational consultants as mediators in transnational student mobility.” In Mobilities and Mobilisations: South Asian Universities as Transformative Social Spaces, edited by Thieme, S., Kölbel, A., and Pfaff-Czarnecka, J. Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- Jayadeva, S. (2022, forthcoming) “Bad, Good, and Appropriate English: Negotiating English Proficiency in Bangalore, India.” In Hinglish: Language Use and Language Mixing in Contemporary India, edited by Orsini, F., and Ravikant. Orient Blackswan.
- Brooks, R., Abrahams, J., Lazetic, P., Gupta, A. and Jayadeva, S. (2020) “Access to and Experiences of Higher Education across Europe: the Impact of Social Characteristics”, In The European Higher Education Area: Challenges for a New Decade, edited by Curaj, A., Deca, L. and Pricopie, R. Springer.
Blog posts, reports, policy briefs:
- Jayadeva, S. (2021) “Do Spanish Students See Themselves As Customers?” Wonkhe.
- Jayadeva, S. (2020) “The impact of Covid-19 on postgraduate-level student migration from India to Germany.” CGHE Research Findings, University of Oxford.
- Jayadeva, S. (2016) “Aspiring by Degree: Student migration from India to Germany.” GIGA Focus Asia 5. Hamburg: GIGA.
- Jayadeva, S. (2020) “Interest in study in Germany still strong among Indians despite Covid-19.” PIE News.