Bye Fellow in Pre-clinical medicine
I have always been struck by the supportive ethos at Murray Edwards. The College provides a relatively unique environment where everyone at all levels is valued for their individual strengths and contributions.
Degrees and honours
- MA (Cantab),
- and AHEA.
- Dr Usher-Smith's main research interests relate to the development, validation and implementation of risk scores in primary care to promote prevention of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- Her current work focuses on developing a very brief intervention to promote behaviour change for cancer prevention in primary care.
- She is also involved in a number of others studies, including systematic reviews of risk models for cancer and cardiovascular disease, the evaluation of a computer aid for assessing stomach symptoms study and a rapid evidence synthesis of NHS Health Checks.
She first joined the college as a Supernumerary Fellow in 2007 whilst she was completing a PhD in the department of Physiology with Professor Chris Huang as part of the Cambridge MB/PhD programme. She taught the homeostasis course to first year medical students until 2012 and served on the Library committee in 2012/13. She is now a Clinical Senior Research Associate and Cancer Research UK/BUPA Foundation Cancer Prevention Fellow based in the Primary Care Unit, a General Practitioner in Cambridge and Bye Fellow in Pre-clinical medicine. Her current role in the College includes teaching on the Gateway programme and advising current and previous medical students on opportunities for research and careers and job applications.
- Juliet Usher-Smith, George Murrell, Harold Ellis and Christopher Huang. Research in Medicine 3rd edition. Cambridge University Press. (2010) ISBN 9780521132282
- Ian N Sabir, Juliet A Usher-Smith. A thinking approach to Physiology. World Scientific publishing. (2008) ISBN 981270602X
Selected peer-reviewed articles
- Usher-Smith JA, Sharp SJ, Griffin SJ (2016). The spectrum effect in risk prediction, screening, and diagnostic tests. BMJ. 22;353:i3139. doi: 10.1136/bmj.i3139
- Usher-Smith JA, Kassianos A, Emery JD, Abel G, Teoh Z, Hall S, Neal R, Murchie P, Walter FM. (2016) Identifying people at higher risk of melanoma across the UK: a primary care based survey. British Journal of Dermatology doi: 10.1111/bjd.15181
- Usher-Smith JA, Emery J, Win AK, Walter FM, Griffin SJ. (2016) Risk prediction models for colorectal cancer: a systematic review. Cancer Prevention Research. 9(1):13-26. doi: 10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-15-0274
- Usher-Smith JA, Emery J, Hamilton W, Griffin SJ, Walter FM. (2015) Risk Prediction Tools for Cancer in Primary Care. British Journal of Cancer. 113(12):1645-50. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2015.409
- Usher-Smith JA, Silarova B, Schuit E, Moons K, Griffin SJ. (2015) Impact of provision of cardiovascular disease risk estimates to healthcare professionals and patients: a systematic review. BMJ Open. 5(10):e008717. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008717
- Usher-Smith JA, Emery J, Kassianos A, Walter FM. (2014) Risk prediction models for melanoma: a systematic review. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevalence DOI: 10.1158/1055-9965
- Usher-Smith JA, Thompson M, Ercole A, Walter FM. Variation between countries in the frequency of diabetic ketoacidosis at first presentation of type 1 diabetes in children: a systematic review. Diabetologia 2012; 55: 2878-2894
- Usher-Smith JA, Thompson M, Sharp SJ, Walter FM. Factors associated with the presence of diabetic ketoacidosis at diagnosis of diabetes in children and young adults: a systematic review. BMJ 2011; 343:d4092
Dr Usher-Smith's profile on the Department of Public Health and Primary Care.