Bye Fellow in Sustainability Leadership
- PhD in Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, UK
- MSc in Organic Chemistry, Northeast Normal University, China
- BSc in Food Processing Technology; Kyambogo University, Uganda
Awards & Prizes
- PATS MECOR Award 2019: Determining the level of exposure to ambient air pollution among urban traffic-junction officers in Kampala, Uganda
- BREATHE Small Awards 2018: Effect of cooking behaviour on exposure to household air pollution from different cooking fuels
Research active expert with vast experience in renewable energy, air pollution and human exposure science with interests in the effects of air pollution on health of people and the environment.
Exploring a transdisciplinary approach centred on involvement of societal actors to generate evidence to inform the conceptualisation and co-design of strategies to address air pollution urbanizing cities in LMICs.
Passionate about promoting evidence-based policies and interventions to reduce human exposure to air pollutants in outdoor, indoor and workplace settings; and improve understanding that cleaner air in all settings can benefit public health.
Global Sustainability fellow and Research Associate in Air Quality and non-communicable diseases (NCDs) at University of Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership, a member of the Global Diet and Physical Activity (GDAR) Network and visiting researcher at Makerere AirQo. Current research involves applying transdisciplinary research methods to address air pollution as a risk factor of respiratory health in Kampala and Jinja cities, Uganda. The research aims to address NCDs risk by focusing on air quality in the context of urban settings in low-and middle-income countries.
- A Singh, F Dobbie, T I. Kinnunen, G Okello, S Semple, P B Okyere, D D Logo, K F Lartey, A McNeil, J Britton, L Bauld, E Owusu-Dabo. 2021. Adherence to smoke-free policies in Ghana: Findings from a cross-sectional survey of hospitality venue owners and staff. Tob. Prev. Cessation. https://doi.org/10.18332/tpc/131058
- Singh, A., Okello, G., Semple, S., Dobbie, F., Kinnunen, T. I., Lartey K.F., Logo D.D., Bauld L.,Owusu-Dabo, E. 2020. Exposure to second-hand smoke in hospitality settings in Ghana: Evidence of changes since implementation of smoke-free legislation. Tob. Induc. Dis. https://doi.org/10.18332/tid/120934
- Awokola B.I, Okello G (Joint first authors), Mortimer K., Jewell C.P, Erhart A, Semple S. 2020. Measuring Air Quality for Advocacy in Africa (MA3): Feasibility and Practicality of Longitudinal Ambient PM2.5 Measurement Using Low-Cost Sensors. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17(19), 7243. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17197243
- G Okello, K Mortimer, H Lawin & S Semple. 2020. Quantifying exposure to respiratory hazards in sub-Saharan Africa: a simple guide to some practical issues to help plan your study. AJRM Vol 14 No 2
- Okello, G., Devereux, G. and Semple, S. 2018, "Women and girls in resource poor countries experience much greater exposure to household air pollutants than men: Results from Uganda and Ethiopia", Environment international, vol. 119, pp. 429-437
- Gravely S, Nyamurungi KN, Kabwama SN, Okello G, Robertson L et al. 2018. Knowledge, opinions and compliance related to the 100% smoke-free law in hospitality venues in Kampala, Uganda: cross-sectional results from the KOMPLY Project. BMJ Open 2018;8:e017601. doi:10.1136/ bmjopen-2017-017601
- Tumwesige, V., Okello, G., Semple, S., Smith, J. 2017. Impact of partial fuel switch on household air pollutants in sub-Sahara Africa. Environmental pollution 231 (1)1021-1029.
- Okello, G. 2017. Assessing Personal Exposure to Biomass fuel smoke in sub-Saharan Africa using GPS and Time-Activity Diaries data. Global Positioning System in Health Research Network. Issue Number: 11. https://www.gps-hrn.org/pages/admin/ imageUploader/CMS_Photos/welcomeSide/docs/16.pdf
Presentation and talks
- RE:TV documentary film, entitled ‘Recirculating plastic’. 2021. The documentary film show cases innovation around plastic recycling and creating of green jobs (decent work). https://www.re-tv.org/rebalance/recirculating-plastic
- Webinar for Air Quality, Urban Mobility and Governance in Kampala: an urbanising African city context. 2021. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rupQhYSK6Tc&t=144s
- Okello G. 2021. Could electric-powered motorcycles (e-bodas) reduce air pollution in Kampala and other rapidly growing African cities? UrbanBetter. https://urbanbetter.science/could-electric-powered-motorcycles-e-bodas-reduce-air-pollution-in-kampala/
- Avis W., Okello G. 2020. Learning from Namuwongo (Kampala): Putting Community Engagement at the Centre of Air Quality Improvement Initiatives. ASAP East Africa. https://www.asap.uk.com/blog/2020/2/26/learning-from-namuwongo-kampala-putting-community-engagement-at-the-centre-of-air-quality-improvement-initiatives