Fellow in Veterinary Medicine; Director of Studies
Murray Edwards is a unique academic environment in Cambridge – friendly, supportive and very collegiate. We are not stuffy or traditional but proud of our values and beliefs. I most enjoy having the opportunity to work with highly motivated and intelligent young women as they embark on their veterinary career.
Degrees and honours
- and MRCVS.
- comparative orthopaedics,
- regenerative medicine,
- use of stem cells in treating orthopaedic conditions,
- and treatment of joint disease in man and animals.
Having been admitted to study the Natural Sciences Tripos at Murray Edwards College (New Hall as it was then) in 1985, she has focused on becoming a ‘clinical scientist’, taking in academic study, veterinary training, a PhD, a post-doctoral research position and specialist training in equine orthopaedics.
She is a Senior Lecturer in Equine Studies in the Department of Veterinary Medicine and a Research Fellow in the Division of Orthopaedic Trauma and Surgery. In her current role she combines practising as an equine vet, specialising in sports horse orthopaedics, with scientific research into the healing of joint defects at Addenbrooke’s Hospital. She is Director of Studies of Veterinary Medicine at Murray Edwards College.
- Howard D., Wardale, J., Guehring, H. and Henosn F.M. D. (2015) Delivering rhFGF-18 via a bilayer collagen membrane to enhance microfracture treatment of chondral defects in a large animal model. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 33.
- Barr, L., Getgood, A., Guehring, H., Rushton, N., & Henson, F. M. D. (2014). The effect of recombinant human fibroblast growth factor-18 on articular cartilage following single impact load. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 32, 923-927 (5 pages).
- Hernandez, P., Whitty, C., John Wardale, R., & Henson, F. M. D. (2014). New insights into the location and form of sclerostin. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 446, 1108-1113 (5 pages).
- Power, J., Hernandez, P., Guehring, H. Getgood, A., & Henson, F.M.D. (2014). Intra-articular injection of rhFGF-18 improves the healing in microfracture treated chondral defects in an ovine model. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 32, 669-676 (7 pages).
- Power, J., Hernandez, P., Wardale, J. & Henson, F.M.D. (2014) Alterations in sclerostin protein in lesions of equine osteochondrosis. Veterinary Record Open, 1, 0005 (6 pages).
- Taylor, P., Coumbe, K., Henson, F.M.D., Scott, D., & Taylor, A. (2014). Evaluation of sedation for standing clinical procedures in horses using detomidine combined with buprenorphine. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, 41, 14-24 (8 pages).
- Getgood, A., Henson, F., Skelton, C., Brooks, R., Guehring, H., Fortier, L.A. & Rushton, N. (2014). Osteochondral tissue engineering using a biphasic collagen/GAG scaffold containing rhFGF-18 or BMP-7 in an ovine model. Journal of Experimental Orthpaedics, 1, 1-11 (10 pages).