Fellow in Veterinary Medicine; Director of Studies
A friendly, caring College that supports women at all stages of their career.
Degrees and Honours
MA, Vet MB, PhD, RCVS Specialist in Equine Orthopaedics
Awards and Prizes
Frank Smart Prize
Osteoarthritis, joint surface repair, equine sports medicine
I joined Murray Edwards College as an undergraduate student in 1985 and have been here ever since! I read Natural Sciences initially, completing a Part II in Zoology, and I then continued onto complete a Veterinary Medicine degree.
Following a PhD at the Strangeways Research Laboratory, I completed my specialist Equine Orthopaedic training at the Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge. I was appointed to the a Lectureship in the Department in 2000 and now spend half of my time in the Equine Hospital and half of my time at Addenbrooke’s Hospital where I am a Research Fellow in the Department of Surgery.
Selected recent publications include those listed below, a full list can be found at https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Frances_Henson/publications
- Lydon, H., Brooks, R., McCaskie, A.W. and Henson F.M.D. (2018) Peripheral mononuclear blood cell apheresis in a preclinical ovine model. BMC Veterinary Research 10.1186/s12917-018-1332-4.
- Hopper N. and Henson F.M.D. (2018) Increased sclerostin associated with stress fracture of the third metacarpal bone in the TB racehorse. Bone and Joint Research.10.1302/2046-3758.71.BJR-2016-0202.R4
- Newell, K., Chitty, J. and Henson F.M.D. (2017) “Patient reported outcomes” following experimental surgery – using telemetry to assess movement in experimental ovine models. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, In Press.
- Lydon, H., Getgood, A. and Henson F.M.D. (2017) Healing of Osteochondral defects via endochondral ossification in an ovine model. Cartilage doi: 10.1177/1947603517713818
- Hopper, N., Wardale, R.J., Howard, D. & Henson F.M.D. (2015) Peripheral Blood Derived Mononuclear Cells Enhance the Migration and Chondrogenic Differentiation of Multipotent Mesenchymal Stromal Cells. Stem Cell International. ID 323454
- Hopper, N., Wardale, R.J., Brooks, R., Power, J., Rushton, N. & Henson, F.M.D. (2015) Peripheral blood mononuclear cells enhance cartilage repair in an in vivo osteochondral defect model. Plos One. 10 E0133937.
- Mirams, M., Ayodele, B.A., Tatarczuch, L., Henson F.M.D., Pagel, C.N. & Mackie, E.J. (2015) Identification of novel osteochondrosis-associated genes. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. Jor.23033
- Hernandez, P., Whitty, C., John Wardale, R., & Henson, F. M. D. (2014). New insights into the location and form of sclerostin. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 446, 1108-1113
- Power, J., Hernandez, P., Guehring, H. Getgood, A., & Henson, F.M.D. (2014). Intra-articular injection of rhFGF-18 improves the healing in microfracture treated chondral defects in an ovine model. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 32, 669-676
- Taylor, P., Coumbe, K., Henson, F.M.D., Scott, D., & Taylor, A. (2014). Evaluation of sedation for standing clinical procedures in horses using detomidine combined with buprenorphine. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia, 41, 14-24