Low Participation Neighbourhood (LPN) Summer School
Each year, Murray Edwards College collaborates with Christ's College and Sidney Sussex College to run a Summer School for Year 11 students who then return to Cambridge in Year 12. The scheme is for Year 11 students who live in areas of low participation in higher education.
LPN Summer School 2022
The 2022 LPN Summer School will take place from Sunday 21 August to Wednesday 24 August.
How and when do I apply?
If you are interested in applying for the Summer School, please fill in this form.
The application deadline is 25 April.
The teacher reference form is available here.
What does the Summer School involve?
The Summer School includes:
- Masterclasses given by Cambridge University researchers
- The opportunity to get to know Cambridge
- Information about making an application to Cambridge
- The chance to meet current Cambridge students
After the Summer School, the Colleges provide continuing support during Year 12 and there is a follow-up Summer School at the end of Year 12, which you are automatically invited to.
What does the Summer School cost?
The whole Summer School is free of charge (including meals and accommodation) - with the exception of travel to and from Cambridge. If you need assistance with travel expenses in order to be able to attend, please get in touch as some limited support may be available.
As part of the Summer School programme, students have the opportunity to attend a series of seminars introducing them to the study of a particular subject at university level. This year's subject strands are:
- Biological Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- Social Sciences
Students applying for a place on the Summer School should choose which subject strand they would like to attend, and indicate this on their application form. There is also an option to be considered for a reserve choice if you are not selected for your first choice. The same number of places are available on each subject strand, so please choose the subject that interests you the most.
Who us eligible to apply?
If you meet all of the following criteria, you are eligible to apply for a place on the Summer School:
- You are in Year 11 (England and Wales), Year 12 (Northern Ireland) or S4 (Scotland) and you will be taking your GCSEs or National 5s at a school that does not charge fees.
- You are going to study academic qualifications (usually A Levels or the IB) in Sixth Form at a school or college that does not charge fees.
- You live in an area of low participation in higher education. We use the POLAR classification and we only accept applications from students who live in quintile 1 or 2 areas. We encourage students to self-select using the online postcode checker tool. When you put you postcode in the tool, check the 'POLAR4 young participation quintile'.
- You are on target to receive a majority of 7-9s at GCSE or A grades in National 5.
- You can provide the name and email address of a teacher who can support your application. We recommend you ask your teacher if this is OK before you provide their details.
We encourage applications from:
- Students who may be the first in their family to go to university
- Young carers
- Students from BAME backgrounds
- Students eligible for free school meals (currently or in the past)
- Students who have spent time in care
- Students who no longer have contact with their parents
The deadline for applications is 25 April.
Where can I get more information?
Please get in touch with Bethan Wallace (Schools Liaison Officer) at email@example.com if you have any questions.