Formal Hall - Using the Meal Booking System
Welcome to Murray Edwards College's Meal Booking System. Access to the system is via a link on the Murray Edwards College internal page and to use it, all you need is to log in with your Raven credentials.
When you log in to the Meal Booking System you will see the Home Page. This page displays information about the service including downtimes and nut allergy information.
Formal Hall - Undergraduates – There are 51 spaces reserved at Formal Hall for undergraduates. You must book your place via the online booking system . The charge is taken from your University card upon booking. The undergraduate charge for Formal Hall is £12.00.
Formal Hall - Postgraduates – There are 42 spaces reserved at Formal Hall for postgraduates. These bookings are free of charge, due to an agreement between the College and MCR.
Postgraduates are invited to one Formal Hall per week free of charge (until they have completed the required number of terms for their degree, when Formal tickets will be charged at the student rate and billed termly in arrears). So if you decide to come on Tuesday and Friday, you will be charged for the Friday booking. All bookings must be made via the online booking system . If you cannot attend the dinner, you must cancel your booking otherwise you will be charged.
The Fellows invite all postgraduate students and their guests to sherry in the Fellows' Drawing Room before Formal Hall, from 18.45.
Formal Hall - Guests
The charge for guests is £14.40 (2021-22). Undergraduates and postgraduates may book one guest. Guests must be booked using the Meal Booking System.
Checking Your Balance
When you make a Formal Hall booking the cost of your meal, and that of your guests, is immediately taken from the balance on your card account. In view of this, please check that you have sufficient funds available before making a booking. If you do not, card balances can be topped up, using cash or cheque, at the Porters' Lodge.
Cancelling Your Own Formal Hall booking
- Please check the meal booking and cancellation deadlines page for cancellation cut-off times. There will be no refund for meals cancelled after the cut-off time.
- Cancel all of your guest bookings.
- When all of your guest bookings have been cancelled the Cancel button will reappear on the Meal Booking screen.
- Click the Cancel button to cancel your own Formal Hall booking.
- You must not under any circumstances give your ticket away.
Group bookings at Formal Hall (From Easter Term 2022)
- 10 places are available to postgraduate students for group bookings; 9 guests and 1 postgraduate.
- 10 places are available to undergraduate students for group bookings; 9 guests and 1 undergraduate.
- Bookings must be made between 14 and 7 days before the Formal Hall. Bookings made outside of this period will not be processed.
- To make a booking, download the Formal Hall Group Booking form. Please click the green button in the top left. Complete the form as instructed and send to the Catering team. Please ensure your College account has sufficient funds to cover the booking cost.
- The Catering team will email you to confirm if your booking has been successful or not.
Formal Hall on Tuesday – deadline is midnight the previous Sunday
Formal Hall on Friday – deadline is midnight the previous Wednesday
How To Check Your Balance/Transaction History
- Click on the button labelled Transaction History
- Current Balances are displayed at the top of the screen
- To view your Transaction History, use the Date From: and Date To: buttons to select the period that you are interested in
- Click on the Get Transactions button to view the dates, times and cost of purchased items
Booking a Meal at Formal Hall
- Find the Formal Hall that you want to attend and click the Book button
- Fill in your requirements, including allergies and intolerances, and click the Book button
- If you have requested a meal with special dietary requirements, please make yourself known to the waiting staff
Booking/Cancelling a Guest
- Book yourself in for a meal
- Once you have booked, the Book button is relabelled Guest; click the Guest button
- Fill in your guest's dietary requirements, enter their name and click the Book button
- Repeat the above for each of your guests
- To amend a guest's booking click the Change button, click the next Change button, make your amendments and click the Book button
- Please check the Booking/cancellation deadlines on the Meal Booking site for cancellation cut-off times. There will be no refund for meals cancelled after the cut-off time
- To cancel a guest's booking click the Change button, and then click the Cancel button