Why give to the College?
Founded as New Hall in 1954, with 16 undergraduates and no endowment, today Murray Edwards College is a vibrant and diverse community of students, Fellows and staff.
The College remains true to its primary purpose: to provide a world-class education to the students with the most potential in each subject, whatever their means or social background.
A transformative gift from Ros (1981, née Smith) and Steve Edwards, announced in 2008, provided the opportunity to recognise the vision of our first President, Dame Rosemary Murray, through the endowment and re-naming of the College. This gift, received over ten years, has enabled the College to address some immediate funding concerns. From this firmer foundation, we can now look forward with confidence to the next stage of the College's development to consolidate its position as a modern educational institution.
Our aims for the future
In the years ahead, we want to maintain and grow our position as a vibrant, intellectual, social, cultural and sporting community, where high quality teaching, confidence, fun and personal growth are inherent in the student experience.
To achieve this, the College has three key aims:
- To safeguard the Supervision system, as this is what sets a Cambridge education apart from every other university. It helps every student to think seriously, to learn, to argue and never to hide.
- To provide an enriching experience for our students, so that they not only achieve academic excellence, but also have the opportunities to develop pastorally, personally and professionally.
- To build an endowment, so we can meet our operational costs and continue to invest in future improvements.
How can you help?
Our alumnae and friends will play a crucial role in helping us secure the philanthropic support necessary to achieve these aims. There are a number of ways in which you can support Murray Edwards:
- By making a regular commitment to support on-going areas of need
- By making a single gift of any size
- By leaving a legacy in your will
- By introducing us to a company or charitable trust who may be able to support the College
- By providing your own professional expertise
For many donors it is possible to make tax efficient gifts - we can help you to ensure that your gift goes as far as possible to the area where it is needed most.
Murray Edwards College is a Registered Charity (No. 1137530).