Tax-efficient giving: making the most of your gift
Murray Edwards College can claim back the tax paid on all donations from UK taxpayers, as long as the donor completes a simple Gift Aid Declaration. This means that for every £1 donated by a UK taxpayer, the College receives £1.25.
If you are a higher-rate taxpayer, you can also claim back the difference between the basic (20%) and higher (40% or 50%) rates of tax on the gross value of your gift from HMRC through your Self Assessment tax return. See the table below for examples.
|Monthly donation||Quarterly donation||Annual donation||Total (over 3 years)||With Gift Aid the College receives||Cost to 40% taxpayers (after tax reclaim)||Cost to 50% taxpayers (after tax reclaim)|
Gift Aid notes:
- You must pay an amount of UK Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax at least equal to the amount that the College reclaims on your donation(s) in the relevant tax year.
- If you pay tax at the higher rate you can claim tax relief in your Self Assessment tax return.
- If your circumstances change, and you no longer pay the required amount of tax, you must cancel your declaration.
- You can cancel your declaration at any time by notifying the Murray Edwards College Development Office.
- Please notify the Development Office if you change your name or address while your declaration is active.
Give As You Earn
Murray Edwards College is registered to receive gifts through the "Give As You Earn" programme. This works in a similar way to Gift Aid, but your employer deducts your charitable gift before any tax is paid. Please ask your employer if your company participates in Give As You Earn.
Gifts of listed shares, securities and real property
Gifts of listed shares, securities and real property by UK taxpayers attract full relief from Capital Gains Tax and, in addition, allow the donor to claim Income Tax relief on the full value of the gift at the time the shares, securities or real property are transferred to the College - a double tax saving.
To make a gift of listed shares, securities or real property, please contact the Director of Development, who will be pleased to assist.
These tax-efficient methods of giving are only available to UK taxpayers. Please see our giving from overseas section for information about tax efficient giving from outside the UK.
Thank you for your support!
Murray Edwards College is a Registered Charity (No. 1137530).